The day started with an 8:45 wake-up call and I'm still too tired!!!
Michael & I met Kevin in the lobby but Linda overslept so the three of us went down the street to get a coffee and some much needed water. I thought the coffee shop was great, cute little Italian place with a huge selection, but the guys thought it was 'too milky' and just wanted some plain ol' American coffee.
Since we were running behind schedule and were supposed to meet up with Kara at Westmister (and we had no way of getting in contact with her at this point, yikes) I sent the guys off to find Kara while I waited for Linda.
Well that plan did not work anywhere near as well as I had hoped....
Linda and I walked to the Abbey and wasted a lot of time crossing over all of the crowded streets time and time again but couldn't find ANYONE!!! After about 30 minutes I was starting to get worried when out of the crowd I saw the famous green jacket, Kara finally found us! She had been waiting in the very long line and had made it all the way to the front but since we didn't find her in time, she had to get out of the line. SORRY!! :(
After over an hour of searching, Michael and Kevin finally showed up - thank goodness! They had been at the very uncrowded Westminster Cathedral, not the Abbey. Oh well, still lots of waiting in line to be done!
We walked through the Abbey and there were tombs and shrines everywhere you turned. Unfortunately they don't allow you to take pictures inside but there were so many different elements to the Abbey that I probably would've taken over 100 pics if they were allowed!
Saturday was theater day for us so after the tour of Westminster we went to get us some tickets for WICKED later that evening!!! By then our stomachs were absolutely growling so there was only one place to go...Borough Market, I've been excited about that place since I first read/heard about it from Mom, Dad and Kara.
Holy Cannoli, it was so overwhelming, we wanted to eat everything!! The energy was excellent and the smells were even better! Linda and I had those incredible cheese sandwiches, Kara had her falafel wrap and the guys had Wild Boar Sausage sandwiches.
Of course we had to have these extremely chocolatey brownies and other treats along the way. Kara and I lucked out and get the last 2 jars of Black Currant Jam at the jam stand - YES!
After the market, we walked to the Tower of London but it was close to closing time so we decided it wasn't worth it if we had to rush so we walked over the to the Tower Bridge to tour that instead. There was the option of taking the elevator up to the top, but heck no we are all about walking, so we took the steps! It was a really interesting tour with lots of history about the Tower Bridge and bridges in general. Funny that they originally built the upper walkway so that people could still cross the bridge whenever it was raised for ships...but now they charge $15 to cross, haha!
Oh look what we found at the end of the tour....being mature isn't fun so we act like 5 year olds....
Time for some more walking and a couple of trains back to the hotel. We found a wonderful little grocery store next to our hotel and stocked up on some bevvies for later in the evening. Outfit change please, it's time for WICKED!!
The theater was beautiful and the lighting was green everywhere which was spooky but pretty. The musical was great, I'm so glad we got to see it and being in London made it so much better of course! I think I need to buy the soundtrack because the songs keep getting stuck in my head and I barely even know the words!
Our second day in London ended with dinner across the street at Garfunkel's, one of the only places around that was still open. Someone should really tell these people that they'd do a whole lot more business if they stayed open for the after theater crowd!! Silly Brits.
No comments:
Post a Comment