Sunday, April 26, 2009

Parma: Home of Prosciutto & Parmigiano-Reggiano

Went to visit Jenny, one of my BC roommates, for the weekend who is studying for the semester in Parma, Italy. In hindsight I should've made this my last trip because no other food can compare to that of Italy. Finished my 3rd of 4 final papers and I was on my way!

Went from tube to train to plane to bus to train, but it was all worth it. Arrived in Parma around 8pm, got settled in, and met the Italian family that Jenny has been staying with. They were a younger family - Luca, the husband is a professional viola player, and Eliza, the mom works in the mayor's office and speaks five languages (including fluent English). They have two little guys, Leonardo and Lorenzo (just like Dad!), who were absolutely adorable. It was past their bedtime but they had to come out and show off some of their English phrases to the new visitor.

Jenny was excited to take me to all of her favorite spots around Parma. Parma is a cute little city and you can get everywhere by foot or bike which is great. I could not get enough of the pizza, Parma ham (prosciutto), gelato, cheese....I could go on forever. One night we took a train to a nearby town, Reggio-Emilia, to attend an outdoor concert. When we got to the plaza no one was there, but there was this really cool fountain which was lit up like the Italian flag.After talking with the locals we found out that there was a chance of rain so the concert had been moved indoors to a club called Club Maffio. It was an interesting crowd seeing that this band was really into the Communist movement, but definitely fun to do something different. I may or may not have been moshing in my dress. When in Reggio-Emilia?Saturday was Italian Liberation Day! Equivalent to our Fourth of July so everyone was out and about in Parma enjoying the day. We walked through a local Saturday market near Jenny's and of course had to grab some samples. Dad wanted me to send back some ham/cheese, but a lot of of the shops were closed for the holiday so I couldn't fulfill that wish. We met up with the gang and went to the Pilota where we hung out for the day. The Pilotta was a big green area where everyone was out enjoying the glorious weather - people playing soccer, families with their kids, owners and their dogs, lots of hippies, live music, Communist speakers, tons of good stuff for everyone.
That night we went to Parma's piazza and there was a big outdoor concert for the holiday. Everyone was outside until all hours of the morning so we had a blast. Lots of little stands outside of the restaurants serving up inexpensive mojitos, g&t's, and other delicious concoctions (including Prosciutto sandwiches YUM).
On my last day it rained (I guess the clouds were sad I was leaving, too). Jenny and I stopped at the grocery store to pick up potatoes on our way to make brunch at her friend Nate's place. We ended up running into Jenny's housemom in the store (she was picking up things for little Lorenzo who had just contracted the chickenpox...eek!) so that worked out nicely for us because she gave us a ride through the pouring rain instead of having to walk. Brunch was a lot of fun - preparing, cooking, eating, and just getting together to talk about the weekend.

It was sad to say goodbye, but I'm looking forward to Jenny spending this summer in Boston so I'll be able to see her more.
Grabbed my last ham sandwich and gelato in the tiny airport of Milan. Time to go back to Londontown!

No comments:

Post a Comment