I had a very short flight to Frankfurt and when I got off the plane at this very small airport I was asked lots of questions about my military status. Dad thought it must be a military airport, but at that time in the morning I really thought the guy was just messing with me (do I look like I'm in the military with this big white puffy coat?!).
Got a hold of Dad and he picked me up in his VW rental car! He thought our airports were much closer, but unfortunately they were 2.5 hours apart. I was SO happy to see him. He had a whole bag of homemade goodies for me that Mom had sent along. Dug into the pumpkin bread right then and there!
The brand new Porsche Museum had just opened up within the month so that was our destination! Dad was so excited which made me even more excited. It was another 2.5 hour drive, poor Dad. Didn't expect to see vineyards everywhere along the roads...very beautiful. Rolling hills and farmland, but different than Ireland. Had fun in the car with Dad trying to pronounce all the signs that went by in German. So funny...we were getting pretty good at it, too.
Made it to the museum and it was in a plaza with a Porsche dealership and some other possibly corporate building. Dad was already in heaven! There was HUGE line waiting to get inside, but since we used the parking garage we got right in. The place was incredible. Everything white and brand new. Three restaurants in the place. Went to a cafeteria-style restaurant (but still gourmet-esque food) called Pittstop (but in German).
After lunch we made our way around the breathtaking museum. So many gorgeous cars from every decade...even some police cars! So cool because the cars had actually been used...there was visible damage on some of the race cars. I took tons of pictures for Dad and to show Marc as well. One of the pictures below you can see Dad standing under something....if you stood under this circle you could hear a certain model of Porsche which was a very cool idea. After that we made our way to the Porsche dealership! Dad could've spent days there, but we still had a long drive to our hotel. I wish I could've driven for Dad, but not only can I not drive stick, he'd need to read the directions anyway. Plus, it probably wouldn't be the best idea to have me on the Autobahn (and I haven't driven since Christmas)...not a good mix.
We made it to our destination: the adorable little town of Trarbach. I think the full name is Traben-Trarbach because there is a bridge that joins these two towns. We had to drive down the windiest roads to finally make it down to the town which was nestled in the hills full of grapevines.
Got to an amazing little hotel...Mom would've loved it. Rainy day, but still beautiful. The keys had bunches of grapes on them and our room was two floors with an awesome spiral staircase. Dad was exhausted so he took a nap while I went out into town to explore with my camera before it got dark. It was really empty, probably because the off-season and it's a small town on a Sunday. Everything was closed unfortunately. Wandered around the cobblestoned streets and saw the greatest buildings. Crossed the bridge after avoiding the resident swan and explored the town of Traben.
That night we crossed the bridge to find a restaurant. Most of the places were closed, but the third one we walked into was perfect. There was only one other party in the place. Nicely decorated and in the new ownership of a young couple. The husband spoke English well so he helped us with the menu. We shared some of the local white wine which was very fruity and delicious. Dad ordered trout which the wife caught in a net right next to our table! I guess the lake runs under the restaurant...really neat. I had the house wienerschnitzel and then an apple strudel for dessert!
No comments:
Post a Comment