Tonight I attended my first football match (consciously had to make sure
I didn't make the mistake of calling it a soccer game). This was an
exhibition game or a "friendly" as they call it. Brazil played Italy at
Arsenal Stadium. Our study abroad officer at Queen Mary had
bought a group of 30 tickets on a first come first serve basis so I
was sure to be first in line. Couldn't miss out on an opportunity like this!

As our study abroad officer stated:
"This is a seriously top draw game which will see a veritable who's
who of the best footballers in the world come to London, so I
expect the demand for tickets to be huge. Based on the headlines
this morning, we could well be watching the world's most expensive
player in a few weeks (Manchester City have apparently offered AC
Milan £91 million for their Brazilian maestro, Kaka and are willing
to pay him £250,000 per week wages - what credit crunch?)."
The game was absolutely sold out! The stadium holds 60,000
people...so cool. I was so layered because it was freezing out,
but I still made sure to rock some red and my Arsenal jersey
because that's the home stadium. When we got off the tube at
Arsenal people were going absolutely nuts! Such a great
atmosphere; reminded me of BC football games but on a
much larger scale of course.

You can tell our study abroad officer is an Arsenal fan:
"Although Arsenal are not playing, most of the supporters
there will be gooners (Arsenal supporters) who are first
in the queue for tickets for Brazil matches played in Europe
as it is our ground. This means that it is not sensible for you
to see the game as an opportunity to wear your Chelsea or
Manchester United shirt. If you were planning on wearing
a Tottenham shirt, then you are just plain silly (and suicidal)."
So many Brazil and Italy fans even though it was only an
exhibition game. Had great seats and loved every second
of it. Some of the girls wanted to leave early to beat the
crowds but I was not going anywhere. Brazil ended up
winning 2-0 or 2 nil as they call it.
No comments:
Post a Comment