Friday, June 5, 2009

More Firenze!

Woke up for complimentary breakfast at the hotel then set out to explore Firenze. We just beat the crowd so we climbed up 400-something steps into Brunelleschi's masterpiece - Duomo. Really cool to get up close to his artwork and incredible view on the city once we reached the top.
Such a beautiful day, but not too hot for walking around. We popped into some churches and checked out the Mercato Centrale (a little too much cow stomach for my liking). Forgot to mention that at one of the churches, St. Lorenzo, we had to wear johnnies around our waists because we were too "naked" with shorts and a shirt on. Too funny.















We did tons of walking - checked out Ponte Vecchio, paid for a bathroom break, and walked around Pitti Palace area but decided against going in.
Found a spot for lunch - pizzas for both of us. Walked around some more and watched the rowers along River Arno. Checked out Il Santo Bevetore that Tony had recommended and made dinner reservations for later on. Indulged in some gelato (had to cool off) before our tour of the Uffizi Gallery that started at 4:30. Not sure if I'd toured this gallery when I went to Italy in seventh grade. I remember seeing David in the Academy, but other than that the trip was so long ago that my memory is failing me. The tour was really interesting especially because I remembered studying some of the works in my Theology/Art class freshman year. Saw pieces from the greats - Michelangelo, Titian, Caravaggio, Botticelli (Springtime and The Birth of Venus) and many more. The tour was an hour and a half which was plenty of information and we were pretty tired from all of our walking. Headed back to the hotel and rested up before dinner (I think I passed out for a little).

Decided to take a cab to the restaurant and give our feet a break. Santo Bevetore was a great place just over the Arno. Big wine place - waiters had special bottle grabbers to take them down from the shelves to serve. A little disappointing to have a waitress from Louisiana, but she's been living in Firenze for four years now. Ordered some wine and a cheese platter (three different pecorinos). Mom had risotto with lamb and I had pumpkin and eggplant gnocchi. Absolutely phenomenal. 
For dessert Mom had mascarpone cream with strawberries and I had to have the chocolate soufflé. All so incredible. Good thing Mom had made the reservation because people were still waiting for a table at 10pm when we were leaving. On our walk back we stopped to watch a street performance then continued our long walk back to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment