Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Much Overdue Update...

Sorry I haven't been updating this blog! Been here for just over a week now and finally starting to feel settled in. I cannot let myself go this long without writing...there is SO much that happens every day here that needs to be documented; everything is just so new and exciting! It is extremely expensive here (which kills me because I'm a bargain shopper!), but I guess I've got to get used to that. People here go out every night...I don't know how they do it.

I scheduled the majority of my courses in the afternoon (I need my sleep!!). Unfortunately, there's a cleaning woman that comes in every weekday from about 9-12 and I just don't know what she's doing that whole time. She cleans our kitchen every day (which is never messy) and then cleans my room on Wednesdays. Basically she sits in my kitchen and talks wicked loud on her cell phone the entire time (not ideal sleeping conditions and sooo awkward....do I offer you breakfast!? I just don't know). Nice that they have a cleaning service, but I could do without it. A laundry service would be nice...


Classes started last Monday and we had just arrived on Saturday! Had some trouble finding the classrooms (felt like the stupid American), but now I've got it down. We were really thrown into the mix of things, but it was probably better that way. I only take four classes here and they meet once a week so that leaves me with no classes on Tuesdays and Fridays WOOO!! That three-day weekend will be nice when I want to travel :) One of my courses is called Architecture in London so we go on field trips every other week to buildings in London...pretty sweet. Already went to a show for my drama class which was really good and ended up getting together after the show with some locals from my class.

My first trip to the grocery store was quite the experience. I was in dire need of food after our free vouchers ran out (the gummy bears from my Xmas stocking and the hot cocoa packets from Nan just weren't going to cut it much longer!). Got a little lost with my flatmate trying to find the store, but that allowed us to explore our neighborhood which was good. The store was so overwhelming....clothes, electronics, and endless aisles of food. This semester is going to be different for me because I'm mostly shopping for myself, where last semester at BC we were like a little family in our apartment. Everything had different labels which I thought was so funny (Frosted Flakes = Frosties, Cinnamon Toast Crunch = Curiously Cinnamon). Definitely bought a box of granola thinking it was granola bars...oh well! Some Italian guy named Guiseppe tried to pick me up in the pasta aisle saying that he'd make pasta for me one night....yeaaaah NO.

If you want OJ without pulp it's called "without bits." I thought that was pretty funny. After buying wayyy too much, Alycia and I had about 8 bags of groceries each (which started ripping). Note to self: never go grocery shopping on an empty stomach. Had to grab a "black cab" which is what they call taxis in London (they're so nice...like little antique car limos!). It was quite the adventure; by the time I got back to my flat all I wanted was a PB&J!!

Signed up for the gym here which is absolutely gorgeous...totally brand new. I really need to take advantage of it...it seems like whenever I have free time all I want to do is nap! They offer workout classes so hopefully I'll get motivated soon. Realized that the units on the treadmill are different because they use km and kg...I was so confused at first haha.

On Wednesday night we had a boat cruise on the Thames (pronounced Tems, which I did not know) as part of our Orientation program. It was with all of the exchange kids (so all American) which was fun and the view was spectacular. Everything was all lit up beautifully...the London Eye, the Tower of London, Big Ben! After that we went to our bar on campus which was fun. Unfortunately the big nights to go to that bar are Wednesdays and Fridays...I have class at 9am on Thursdays so that's not the best of situations. Talk about a rough morning.

Getting the hang of the tube which is their form of public transportation. It is so much more efficient than the T in Boston and it can literally take you everywhere!! Instead of a Charlie Card that they we use in Boston on the T, the Tube in London uses an Oyster card. On Friday there was a dinner organized for all the BC students that are studying in London this semester (there were about 40 kids). We got together at this French restaurant in Central London and it was absolutely delicious (and free!).

On Saturday the same group organized a tour in Greenwich; it was absolutely freezing!! Took a ferry over there and then walked around with our cute little oldman tourguide Norman. Went to some museums (which was nice for the warmth) and then stood on the Prime Meridian which was pretty cool. I am so surprised that BC organized all of this. I've also signed up for a trip to the Tate Modern museum, a Jack the Ripper walking tour, and a weekend in Brighton! Should be good.

Sunday one of my British friends took me around London to explore. Went into Harrod's (Nana was right, you could really spend hours in there!). The children's department had Armani Junior and little Dior....absolutely absurd. Mosied down Oxford Street with all of the shops and walked around Hyde Park which was beautiful. It's absolutely packed at this time of year because they have huge January sales. Rode my first double-decker bus!!

Mom and Dad are in Italy right now, but then they'll be in London this weekend!!! So excited to see them :) YAYYY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment