Friday, March 27, 2009

Reunited! - Switzerland Day 1

Had an early morning this morning, but it didn't matter because I was so excited not only for vacation, but for getting to see Mom and Dad! Classes are officially over and I've completed 1 out of my 4 final papers. Feels like I just got here...kind of scary how quickly it goes.

Got to the airport in London just in time for my flight, but of course it was delayed twice and then ultimately canceled due to "technical problems". I was originally supposed to be waiting 15 minutes for Mom and Dad's flight to land in Zurich, Switzerland, but now they had to wait 4 hours for me. I arrived a little after 3pm and it was so great to see them both! Mom found me and we met Dad outside in the rental car. Had about a 2 hour car ride to Grindelwald, but it was great to catch up and the ride was scenic to say the least - beautiful lakes and incredible mountains.
Grindelwald was picturesque - like a little Heidi town. Very country with its small-town local feel, mountains covered with snow, as well as green farmland with sheep and cows. Some of the cutest wooden houses with their shutters and large cowbells, lace doily-like curtains, and endless stacks of logs. There were some houses in the mountains that we just couldn't figure out how the people got up there; there didn't seem to be any roads! A lot of the area reminded me of Jackson and I immediately fell in love.
We arrived at our hotel, Hotel Romantik Schweizerhof, and it was right out of a fairytale. Absolutely adorable. Everything from flowered chairs in the lounge to the wood carvings around the windows was just so Swiss - if anywhere else tried to recreate this it just wouldn't be right and would most likely look tacky. We went right up to our room and it only got better. Little hearts painted on the wall and I had my own little Heidi bed around the corner. Had my first Swiss chocolate with Mom - dark and divine. Opened up our shutters and the mountains were right there - I couldn't believe it.
After we were settled in we went to explore the town before it got dark. Seemed very local and friendly, not too touristy which was nice. Saw some great houses and a church then made our way to a cute restaurant/bar right next to the mountains. We sat on the deck as Dad enjoyed a local beer and us girls had some "special" hot chocolate. The view was just incredible - couldn't believe that we were actually in Switzerland together.
Went back to the hotel in time to enjoy the Swiss meal of a lifetime. The staff was dressed in Heidi-like outfits which made it that much better. Everything was so delicious and even though there were so many courses the portions were small so it wasn't too overwhelming. Dad ordered white wine for us and the first course was fried mushrooms followed be a cream of chicken soup. We all chose the veal as our main course which was served with spinach and rosti, but first we made a trip to the salad bar. After our veal we were allowed to have cheese and bread at "your own discretion" so of course we did. The choices seemed endless! Then we finished off with some chocolate ice cream. One of the best meals I've ever had - definitely memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment