Earlier morning today - 8:30 report to security instead of 9:30. Still nice to start on a short week though with their bank holiday. I won't be wearing heels for a very long time. The sandals that Mom and Dad gave me for my birthday will now officially count as work shoes in my book. I feel like it should be acceptable anyways seeing what some of the other employees are wearing - I love one of the girls' style, Nancy, but it's definitely not work attire (gold hightop sneakers, shiny black leggings and plaid shirt that she's worn two days in a row now).
Angela Hamme was in today and she had lots of tasks for me. She's worked with Dad before! I was assigned to counting diamonds and other gemstones in a velvet tray with long tweezers. I thought it was hilarious how it looked like I actually knew what I was doing. I had to laugh to myself as I counted sapphire, turquoise, onyx, amethyst, topaz and diamonds - I couldn't get over it.

There's a daily food/clothing market that sets up on my way to work in the morning so I grabbed some bananas during lunch to take back to my flat later. I then enjoyed lunch with Obama's book (borrowed from Laura Vasaturo) on a bench in a courtyard that I walk through on my commute.
When I returned from lunch Marc and Dave, the two younger guys that work there, were showing me all the ridiculous jewelry that people bring in to exchange for money (big gold rings that say "B*TCH" or large gold pendants reading "#1 B*stard" - who would spend money on that let alone wear it?!). I was interested to see the kinds of people that brought this stuff in. The weirdest thing by far though was the teeth. Yes, teeth. Dentists bring in gold teeth, fillings, etc. in exchange for cash. SO creepy. One of the other Marks told me that people from funeral homes used to come in and exchange dead people's jewelry, teeth, etc. until the press caught on. Mark called it "stiff stuff". Dad says that most of the stuff that comes through is stolen anyways - reminded me of a pawn shop.
No comments:
Post a Comment