Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cookson...it runs in the family.


First day of my internship at Cookson today. Can't remember the last time I had to wake up this early except for a flight (tough life, right?). Made sure I was there on time so left the tube earlier than necessary which was a very good thing seeing that I couldn't walk. Thought I'd be professional by wearing heels, but it was probably the worst decision I'd made in a while. Realized far too late that I hadn't worn heels all semester so stilettos probably weren't the wisest choice. I almost bought a pair of £45 flats on that way to work because I really couldn't handle it, but I decided that even for this much pain I wasn't throwing away that kind of money for an unpaid internship.

Got there, painfully, on time and met Mark Adams. Took a tour of the Cookson Trade Counter - much smaller operation than where Dad works, but I guess their factory-like UK location is in Birmingham. This office in Hatton Garden probably had about 15 employees so it made it more personable. Hatton Garden is one of the UK's busiest jewelry (or jewellery as they say) centers (centres). The people were very nice - all English. I was assigned a locker downstairs at security because we're not allowed to bring any personal items or wear any jewelry (which made outfit planning easier for me!). For such a small office I couldn't believe that there were three Marks, two Daves and two Angelas. Both of the Angelas weren't there today, but I'll be working with them.

As I left I had to be wanded by the nice, but smelly security guard Gary. He said I was their "First Yank" - wasn't sure how to react to that so I just laughed as usual. Once I got off the tube I considered taking off my heels and walking barefoot from the station, but then I remembered how sketchy of an area Mile End is so that probably wouldn't have been the best idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment