Today is my last day in Monaco. I brought my stuff down to store at the front desk so my beach time wouldn't be cut short. Talked to the concierge about things to see in Nice and the best way to get to the airport. She recommended a €90 taxi or a €110 helicopter ride and made it seem like those were the only options. I had to laugh - are you kidding me, lady?! But she was totally serious - so absurd especially because I knew you could take the bus/train.
Went to the beach next to the harbor. Lots of topless older women sunning themselves alongside kids playing beach soccer. Went in the water and rinsed off in the shower (everyone seems to do that here). Had some fruit that I took from breakfast, read Obama and worked in my journal...
Took the hotel shuttle to Monte Carlo station then took a quick train to Nice. Walk around old town and figured out the bus schedule for the airport later. Loved the area - little alleys with shops and restaurants. Wonder if Mom and Dad have been.
They were closing down the market for the day, but I was still able to check out some of the stalls. Walked down to the beach to check it out. Took a picture of the butcher shop and they wanted to take a picture of me - so funny. Found a cute plaza with a man playing his guitar while I enjoyed my last croque monsieur looking outwards towards the street (French love to people-watch and so do I!). Of course I had to follow that up with one boule (scoop) of glace and cookies (chocolate cookies?) in a cornet (cone) right next door. Perfect way to end the trip - the people working were dressed in the old school ice cream parlor outfits. Some very strange flavors like tomato basil and chocolate with hot peppers - ick!
Left myself plenty of time to get to the airport via bus. Went to the wrong terminal, but my 10pm flight was delayed until 11:30pm anyways (always seems to happen with these discount airlines). Dad gave me a call from Skype while I was waiting - so good to hear from him! He would've loved Monaco's Grand Prix atmosphere - wish he could've seen it. Got back to campus after the flight and then bus ride, checked my emails and got to bed around 3:30am!
No comments:
Post a Comment